Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Resolutions

It's been too long since I've posted, and I've been in circumstances pretty similar to what BODO described: free, but, for some unfathomable reason, simply not posting, and that leads me to my first resolution. I'm going to post more in here. Bootsie and BODO, my fellow 'blisterers, I'm not doing this because it's fun. I want fame. I want glory and prestige. I already know I'm going to have that later in life, but what's it going to be like when I'm sitting around a mahogany table in a fire-lit living room discussing Vergil and Kawabata with my fellow pompous scholars when one of them says, "You mean you didn't even have a blog in high school?" I would probably be consigned to life on the streets for eternity ever after. So, for the sake of my reputation, which is as intricately beautiful and as fragile and transient as an ice sculpture, I'm going to write more entries. I mean, I'll try.

Self-improvement, of course, need not always entail such grand commitments, though. Sometimes there are little things we can change that may change our lives and the world ever so slightly, but still for the better, so I'm going to make a list of such things now:
  1. When I write dates at the tops of papers, from now on I'm going to write only the last two digits of the year rather than the last three (in other words, "08" rather then "008"). I already told BODO about this, but I figured the rest of the world had to know.
  2. I am going to make a conscious effort to use clichéd alliterative collocations as little as possible. In other words, if everything goes as I hope it will, you shall never again see me use such solidified constructures as "hale and hardy," "vim and vigour," or "might and main." Rather, I will make an effort to create fresh, new compounds, such as "vernal and verdant" or "slag and slate."
  3. I will always include the two little horizontal bars on my capital Is.
  4. I will invent my own poetic meters and use them well.
  5. I will expand my vocal range.
  6. I will learn how to pronounce Chinese tones... backwards.
  7. I will write something awesome.
  8. The Red Sox will win the World Series again.

I think that just about covers it. Peace in the year of the mouse.

Lil Mugi

1 comment:

ATL said...

holy crap what a great post