Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Work Dæmon

This afternoon, a short time after I had eaten lunch, I was suddenly seized by a familiar feeling: possession by a crazy beast I have come to know as the Work Dæmon. It, I feel, is responsible for most of my academic success, and what's scary about it is that it decides when I'll do something thoroughly and enthusiastically, not anything I have direct control over. In rapid succession, Physics, Calculus, Latin fell before my mighty pencil faster than conjunctions could be inserted between them.

It was pretty amazing.

On the other hand, I've also had uncountable experiences of the opposite, when the Work Dæmon is off visiting some other kid or something, when all I have to do is some little two-page "paper" for an English class, and it takes me about three hours because I keep reading random Wikipedia articles or watching these great concert videos on Youtube. I won't give up before I've even tried, of course, but I have a sneaking suspicion that that will be a more accurate assessment of the state of affairs tomorrow when I try my hand at whipping up another jewel of a college essay or two. This fickle Work Dæmon is what infuses me with the most random swings of absolute confidence and despair, and I've realised that all I can do is pray to it and make offerings to it, hoping it will send at least a femtojoule of its energy to me. I think that is the secret to doing well in school: appeasing the Work Dæmon and making your body an attractive vessel to it so that it spends a lot of time with you. At least, that's how it looks to me now.

Lil Mugi

No comments: